Monday, February 1, 2010

Song #1: Beautiful Surprise - India Arie
Lyrics:
It's like yesterday
I didn't even know your name
Now today
You're always on my mind
I never could have predicted that I feel this way
You are beautiful surprise
Intoxicated every time I hear your voice
You've got me on a natural high
It's almost like I didn't even have a choice
You are a beautiful surprise

Whatever it is you came to teach me
I am here to learn it cause
I believe that we are written in the stars
I don't know what the future holds
But I'm living in the moment
And I'm thankful for the man that you are, you are, you are
You are everything I ask for in my prayers
So I know my angels brought you to my life
Your energy is healing to my soul
You are a beautiful surprise
You are an inspiration to my life
You are the reason why I smile
You are a beautiful surprise

I believe that this song is poetry because it has some of the elements that we reviewed in class. For example symbolism, alliteration and connotation. Songs that are considered to be poetry are usually full of connotation because everyone gets something different from a song. Usually poetry has a deeper meaning and is complex in syntax.


Song # 2: Wasted - Gucci Mane featuring Plies

Lyrics:
Im wasted, you wasted, she wasted, he wasted

Chorus
rock star, lifestyle, might dont make it
living life high everyday clique wasted
sippin on purple stuff, rollin up stankin
wake in the morning, 10 o'clock drinkin
party, party, party, lets all get wasted
shake it for me baby girl do it butt-naked
im so wasted, she so wasted
tell the bartender send me 20 mo cases

verse 1(Gucci)
lookin like whitney
geekin like brittany
gucci no hippie but he stoned like jimmy
x-pill poppers, geeked up crazy
whole click rollin, everyones wasted
purple codiene, sprite pink dont waste it
mix up grandma drink it didnt taste it
now grandma sippin syrup, leanin wasted
walkin round fucked up twisting her fingas
homegurl slipped up, drunk, got wasted
now she backstage and she tryin to get famous
see me, im a drinkie, drinkin, gucci mane shake it
club life, damn right, gucci mane wasted

I believe that this song is not poetry because there is not real point to me. There is no kind of truly deeper meaning that i would really have to sit down and think about in order to comprehend.

Questions:
1) Is Rap/Hip-Hop music poetic expression? Why or Why not?
I believe that Rap/Hip-Hop music is poetic expression. Lots of rap is written by the artist to express emotions of happiness, sadness, struggle and various other emotions.

2) What literary characteristics or poetic terms does this music express?

Beautiful Surprise - India Arie
  1. Imagery - someone in love
  2. Denotation & Connotation - music is usually to be comprehended differently by each person that listens to it. So there are many parts of a song that are literally and many parts that are hidden.
Wasted - Gucci Mane featuring Plies
  1. Alliteration, Assonance & Consonance
  2. Symbolism
  3. Denotation & Connotation

3) What type of critic are you? Explain why.
Thematic Critic - I understand that words sometimes hide some underlying theme. To me, theme is important in poetry and i like tot pick the artist's brain to see what they really feel. Most artists tie their music to consistent themes related to their lives.

1 comment:

  1. Great selections! I can agree with your non-poetry choice. :)
    Grade = 18/20 (Posted late)

    ReplyDelete